Presentation of new Crozier to Bishop Pat Storey.

Share this story

Bishop Pat has been presented with a beautiful new wooden Crosier. It was made by Mr Robert Dier – a member of Navan Union of Parishes.  He presented it to her on behalf of the Navan Union of Parishes at a Harvest Service in Kentstown
The crook of the Crosier has been crafted from a Cedar tree which grew on the grounds of An Tobar, Ardbraccan, Navan, for over 200 years.  Prior to 1958, An Tobar, was then known as Bishopscourt, as it was the former residence of the Church of Ireland Bishop of Meath for the previous 73 years.
The section of Yew attached to the crook was sourced from the nearby grounds of Ardbraccan House.  Ardbraccan House was the former Bishop’s Palace from the 1770’s until 1885 after which the Bishop of Meath moved to Bishopscourt.
The centre section was pruned from a Yew tree growing beside St. Mary’s Church, Kilmessan, Co. Meath.  This church was built in 1731 by the Preston family of Swainstown, Kilmessan.  The last Service in St. Mary’s at which Dean Perry officiated was on Trinity Sunday 1966.
The Yew in the bottom section of the Crosier was sourced from Bettystown from a fellow woodturner.
The Ebony inserts came from a woodturning supply agent in Kilcock, Co. Kildare.  They were turned from Ebony off-cuts from the musical instrument industry.
So, incorporated in this Crosier apart from the various timbers, is the continuity of links within the Dioceses from the 1700’s to the present day.